Legal Forms and Dodiment Service Online   Legal Discussion Board, Advice, Information, Legal Aid and Legal Issue   
          Forums Login or Register News Members Calendar Search Bookmarks Settings Help Legal Document Service   
 Statistics: 35 people online; 911 members; 519 topics; 874 messages; 90,668 words  18 Jan 2018 2:50 am 

Estate Planning >> Last Will and Testament >> Request copy of Will

New Message   Printable Version   Threaded View   Page 
Discussion: Request copy of Will-
#158, posted 30 Nov 2005 9:38 am30 words
Laura (Offline)

Joined 30 Nov 2005 9:35 am

1 post

How does a person go about obtaining a copy of a deceased person's will? Is it a public record in every state and if so, what state department retains copies?

#159, posted 30 Nov 2005 5:10 pm, in reply to #158161 words
Customer Support (Offline)

Joined 26 Jan 2005 1:01 pm

176 posts

9.7/10 Rating
Dear Laura:

A will becomes a matter of public record during probate process. Depending on the state you are in, a copy of a will may be obtained from different judicial bodies.

A copy of a will may be obtained from a clerk’s office of the county court where the will was admitted to probate.
In some states, including NY, a copy can be obtained upon request to the Surrogate's Court. The Surrogate's Court is the court in New York where all matters relating to Wills and Trusts are determined.

Most states allow the request to be made either by mail or in person. There is a nominal fee for a copy of the document.

In order to obtain a copy of the will you need to know the name of decedent and a case number.

Please be advised that Legal Helpmate is not a law firm and we do not give legal advice to the public.

Best regards,

Customer Support


#837, posted 20 Jun 2009 1:42 pm, in reply to #15917 words
barbara_selley (Offline)

Joined 20 Jun 2009 1:10 pm

1 post

How does a person go about obtaining a case number o a Last Will and Testament?



#907, posted 19 Apr 2012 3:04 pm62 words
jimbobf (Offline)

Joined 19 Apr 2012 2:45 pm

1 post

my father(widower) passed away 2 weeks ago....he has a will and I am listed as exectutor...I have no ideas what the next step are....he has 2 bank accounts...1 cd...stocks and a far as we know no life ins....I have 3 sisters and we all get along so that is not going to be a problem....what needs to be my 1st step?


#910, posted 26 May 2012 12:53 pm, in reply to #90721 words
  ekglaw (Offline)

Evan Guthrie Law Firm

Joined 6 Mar 2012 3:50 pm

2 posts

Contact a probate attorney for help or call the probate court in the county he last resided for the next step.


Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate personal injury accident and divorce and family law. For further information visit his website at . Follow on Twitter!/ekglaw Like on Facebook . Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813


Search this topic   Email this topic   Page 
Members who are visible and online browsing this topic:

Go to forum Return to the top of the page
Forums - Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Legal Forms

Powered by LHM - Legal Document Service Online